Sunday, May 07, 2006

Author - Bill Waterson

He's the guy who started it all -

William B. "Bill" Watterson II (born July 5, 1958) is the famous author of the comic strip Calvin and Hobbes. Calvin and Hobbes was first published on November 18, 1985.

And the letter which brought an end to the strip -
In a brief letter newspaper editors made public November 9, 1995, Watterson announced his retirement:
Dear Editor:
I will be stopping Calvin and Hobbes at the end of the year. This was not a recent or an easy decision, and I leave with some sadness. My interests have shifted however, and I believe I've done what I can do within the constraints of daily deadlines and small panels. I am eager to work at a more thoughtful pace, with fewer artistic compromises. I have not yet decided on future projects, but my relationship with Universal Press Syndicate will continue.
That so many newspapers would carry Calvin and Hobbes is an honor I'll long be proud of, and I've greatly appreciated your support and indulgence over the last decade. Drawing this comic strip has been a privilege and a pleasure, and I thank you for giving me the opportunity.
Sincerely,
Bill Watterson
The last strip of Calvin and Hobbes was published on December 31, 1995.

-Taken from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bill_Watterson

4 Comments:

Blogger SAL said...

Holy Shit... I dint know he had stopped writing.

Then how do many of the sites have a CnH a day?

12:00 AM  
Blogger Vivek said...

He stopped in 1995 .. there was lot of press when he did that . u should read the reason he stopped

12:11 AM  
Blogger SAL said...

Is this the reason or somethign else?

Watterson battled constantly against the many things that he felt cheapened his comic

The latter part about him completely secluding himself, not answering any fan emails, etc. is all very depressing :(

9:24 AM  
Blogger Vivek said...

yeah .. thats the reason

7:12 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home